From: openembedded-architecture@...
[mailto:openembedded-architecture@...] On Behalf
Of Denys Dmytriyenko
Sent: Montag, 26. April 2021 20:30
To: DUDZIAK Krzysztof <krzysztof.dudziak@...>
Cc: openembedded-architecture@...
Subject: Re: [Openembedded-architecture] OVERRIDES v2

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 05:15:31PM +0000, keydi wrote:

Hi,

I took the occasion to check what is the mechanism of overriding.

Below what myself found in Bitbake User Manual, ch. 3.3. Conditional
Syntax
(Overrides) "You can use OVERRIDES to ... conditionally append or
prepend the value of a variable."
This is the point where I wonder why overriding is discussed in
context of append and prepend.
Which element of appending and prepending operations has the nature
of overriding other things?

BR
k.d.
If to use same chapter in order to continue my point regarding
intersection of overriding and appending/prepending I don't see in
example provided in bullet "Appending and Prepending:" any piece of
variable original value get literally overridden.
In contrary some further components get appended/prepended to original
content, myself doesn't understand the word "override" this way.
As _append, _prepend, _remove are special cases of the override
mechanism.
That was one of the reasons for 2015 discussion during OEDEM to see if
_append and _prepend need to be re-implemented to not confuse with
regular overrides.

My personal preference is to describe things as they are. Naming stuff is
also describing that stuff.
In case of append/prepend description seems to be misleading, it seems to
suggest non-existing behavior.
--
Regards,
Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@...>