OE git servers

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Jun 18 20:55:54 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 18 June 2013 12:41:09 Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:
> Hi all - it is one of my action items to investigate the possibility
> of moving or changing the OE git servers to avoid the slow service
> people experience sometimes. I believe I have a clue now about why
> this is happening and how to avoid it.
>
> Currently the OE git servers are available to anyone, and a lot of
> normal users draw their nightly sync from master. This is different
> from the way kernel.org, for example, handles things - they push
> normal users off to mirrors and only let those with commit rights bang
> on master.
>
> Tom has told me we could solve that part of the issue by simply
> disallowing http and git access, only allowing ssh, and by changing
> the documentation to point users toward the mirrors (github). That
> seems to me to be much easier to manage than changing servers.

To be honest I don't really like the idea of using github as a primary
repository. It's a free service so there is no guarantee of service level, and
lately github has shown some signs that they are also experiencing some strain
(connection refused, timeouts).

Would it be possible to evaluate where we currently are regarding servers and
bandwidth and estimate what it would take in terms of cost to expand to cope
with demand?

Cheers,
Paul

--