OE git servers

Jeff Osier-Mixon jefro at jefro.net
Tue Jun 18 19:41:09 UTC 2013

Hi all - it is one of my action items to investigate the possibility
of moving or changing the OE git servers to avoid the slow service
people experience sometimes. I believe I have a clue now about why
this is happening and how to avoid it.

Currently the OE git servers are available to anyone, and a lot of
normal users draw their nightly sync from master. This is different
from the way kernel.org, for example, handles things - they push
normal users off to mirrors and only let those with commit rights bang
on master.

Tom has told me we could solve that part of the issue by simply
disallowing http and git access, only allowing ssh, and by changing
the documentation to point users toward the mirrors (github). That
seems to me to be much easier to manage than changing servers.

I think it would be good for the TSC to discuss the issue of forcing
users to go to the mirrors. Meanwhile, I'll ask scottrif to make sure
the docs point to github instead of oe.org.

--
Jeff Osier-Mixon http://jefro.net/blog
Yocto Project Community Manager @Intel http://yoctoproject.org